Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Tempting Fate Part II: Son of a Norn!


Do you knock on wood? Avoid walking under ladders? Do you have little rituals for luck?

I guess I'm a pretty superstitious person, because I do. And sometimes I think I even jinx myself. Like when I was talking about tempting fate the other day.

As if things weren't bad enough with this cold I wished upon myself (that just will NOT go away, ugh), I dropped a jar of peanut butter--plastic, 2.5 pounds, net weight--on my big toe. It immediately turned purple and it's literally howling in pain. What? You can't hear that? It's deafening, I tell you!

Obviously, I brought this insufferable toe pain upon myself by bemoaning my sickness on the interwebs, thereby poking a pointed stick, possibly covered in marshmallow goo, at Fate. How else would that jar of peanut butter have slipped right out of my hands and onto my toe? Is there a saint to pray for to keep from losing my toenail? Should I light some candles?

Are you superstitious? Do you believe in jinxes and self-fulfilling prophecies? I'd love to hear about it. (Lordhavemercy, I'm so out of it this morning I just spelled prophecies with an F. *insert eye-roll here*)

Anyone else battling Nyquil addiction, er, I mean, this staggering headcold, too? ;)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know that I'm superstitious, really. But I feel for your pain. I'm sorry and I hope it feels better soon! *sending good vibes to the God of toes.)

Elana Johnson said...

Oh, so sorry you're sick. I'm not a superstitious person at all. Cracks, ladders, bring 'em on!

Abby Annis said...

Dang! I can't believe you're still sick. I hope you feel better soon.

I'm not superstitious. When I drop things on my feet, it's because I'm terribly uncoordinated and something I've just learned to accept as normal. ;) Though I do believe things happen for a reason. Is that contradictory?

Tamika: said...

I'm so sorry you are suffering! Don't worry about any silly superstitions- they are are tall tales!

JESSJORDAN said...

I'd love to say I'm not one of those superstitious wackos, but I totally am.

I can't step on cracks. Or if I do, I have to step on a crack with each foot, in hopes that one crosses out the other. And I knock on wood a lot (problem is, I'm around a lot of fake wood, which I'm worried is counterproductive).

That sucks about your toe. The hubby dropped a full thing of Italian dressing on my foot when he was moving stuff around in the cabinet. And holy Mother, it hurt. Let's just say I was great friends with bad words that day.

As for the headcold: not yet, but it's totally coming.

Knock on wood.

Or don't.

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Carolyn V. sounds down for the count, too. Not fun. I'm a little superstitious, but I work hard at fluffing it off. :-)

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

I've been known to knock on wood and throw salt over my shoulder, but I like the #13 and actually use it on purpose. Yeah, I think we can jinx ourselves or, at least, set ourselves up for the fall. But most likely you're just sick and prone to accidents from that and meds. Go rest, take care of yourself. Tell that ol' jinx to take a hike.