Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Ain't No Sunshine...


It's a rainy, gloomy morning. I'm just getting back to work after a four day weekend. Yeah, blogging is very productive, I know. How do you know I'm not multi-tasking? ;) I could be scanning AND Googling. Look—I just learned that it's my homegirl Freida Kahlo's birthday today. Yeah, she's a Cancer like me, which explains so much. Thanks, Google. Ah, work. I need a hot chai.

Ugh. I wish I was back at home this morning, but not for the reason you think. Yeah, it's been a dreary, rainy morning, and no, I didn't really want to go to work, but the real reason is I want to get back to my WiP.

I really got into my new "As-Yet-Untitled" YA paranormal this weekend. I've got some amazing main characters with great voice who speak to me, and over 6500 words, not a lot yet, I know, but I'm trying to get the ideas down before they fly away into the collective unconscious. Plus, the action starts before page ten, so there's very little back story.

Even though I've got a central conflict and some other conflicts to raise the stakes, I still don't know how it ends yet, not exactly. That's actually part of the appeal this time. I've got a strange new order of magic users, and a plucky new heroine, and she's even more prepared than I am to go running halfway around the world to save a father she's never known. Cass is awesome. That's her in the picture. Her neck, anyway.

Also, there just might be some sexy steam-punk wizards. Maybe they're sorcerers, I haven't figured that out yet.

I'm thinking this could be even better—and more accessible, since the heroine is only 16—than Evangeline. But don't tell anyone, because I'm modest. ;) What are you working on? Something old? Something new? Something borrowed? Kidding! I'd love to hear all about your projects.

And don't forget to enter my birthday book giveaway! Hope your day is sunnier than mine.

11 comments:

Corey Schwartz said...

Oh, sounds very engrossing. Good for you!

Shannon Messenger said...

Okay, you had me hooked with the picture and then you said 'sexy steam-punk wizards' and now I'm officially SOLD. Get writing girl!

Krispy said...

That's so weird. It's gloomy and dreary here too - unheard of in July! You're not the only one who didn't really want to go to work today...

Glad to hear you're so excited about your new project though! Sounds fun! I'm brainstorming a new project, but I really should be FINISHING old ones. XP

Sage Ravenwood said...

I would kill for rain the last few days. It's so hot, critical thinking is almost impossible. Besides I seem more productive in gloomy weather.

If the heat would let up, I would love to bang out the rest of my first draft and get that part behind me at least. (Hugs)Indigo

Jade said...

I started something new yesterday. I'm petrified!

Your new story sounds awesome! Good luck with it.

Unknown said...

It is finally sunny in my neck of the woods! Hopefully you'll get sun back soon enough!

I love new projects so Yay YOU!!! I just finished my something new and now I'm onto revisions!!!

Tess said...

That rush of a new work always reminds me of new, young love ... so exciting! congrats on the progress. me? edits, edits. they are challenging the be-geezus out of me.

Susan R. Mills said...

Sounds interesting... Have fun with it! As for me, I'm finishing up some revisions and outlining another project. Like you, I've got the central conflict and some side conflicts, but I have no clue how it's going to end up. I was determined to map out the whole manuscript this time around, but I just don't think that's how I work. Part of the fun for me is uncovering the story as it comes along.

Charmaine Clancy said...

This WIP sounds like it will be fun. I've got editing on 'Dog Show Detective' and must return to actual writing soon. Too many WIPs
:-)

Elana Johnson said...

I so feel you on this. There's nothing like working on a WiP on a rainy morning. Sorry you're at work. :(

Michelle H. said...

I wish it was gloomy and dreary here. 94 degree weather and humid like an oven. Bleh! Truth be told, I love working on a WIP on a rainy morning. I just love the way the rain sounds on the windowpane. It makes my imagination wander to interesting places.

Your YA sounds intriguing! I'm not working on much right now except blog stuff. Life happens, always getting in the way.