Thursday, February 3, 2011

Carnival Time: Throw me Somethin', Sistah!

Now that it's February, (it actually got cold enough today to sleet, people!) the moment has come for my second annual Carnival Time Celebration! Eh la bah! Time to bid farewell to the flesh, before the fasting of Lent (Read: Fish Fry season, sooo much less decadent, right?).

It's been said that Louisianians are the happiest people in the country.

We all know the secret: Carnival! (PSA ahead: Mardi Gras is just one day, y'all. Fat Tuesday. Also, it's called a streetcar, not a trolley, and it runs in the neutral ground, not the median. The more you know, and all that.)


I'm super-psyched to be a part of Krewe du Vieux this year. Even though I have to work this Saturday, so I won't be able to make my own sperm on a stick for the parade. Yes, that is what you're seeing in the above pic. While most of the major Mardi Gras krewes have floats that are more or less kid-friendly, our little confederation of sub-krewes is all about the satire, baby.

Fairwarning: I spent most of Sunday afternoon decorating a 3.5 foot paper mache penis to look like a Mardi Gras Indian for our float, Treme-ja-vieux. (Or Tremeja-Vu. I'm not sure if we agreed on how to spell it yet. There was much beer involved in the process, so be impressed that we even figured out two spellings, m'kay?)

Wish you could all be here for the festivities! But since you can't, I'll send Mardi Gras to YOU:

One very lucky entrant will receive a box of Mardi Gras throws and other NOLA goodies (CC's chicory-blend coffee, carnival themed notecards, etc.) by random selection. I'll reveal the winner on Monday, February 28th, but until then, there are plenty of ways to earn extra points.

Simply commenting below will earn you +1



Old follower = +2
New follower = +1
Post about this contest on your blog, or link in your sidebar, or tweet = +2 (+6 if you do all three. Or don't. Maybe you want to keep the chances of winning high, and keep the info to yourself, but that just ain't in the spirit of the post-Christmas, pre-Jazzfest season, now is it?)

And if by then I have 300 followers, I'll select two winners instead of just one. 'Cause that's just how I roll. Also, if you could add up your points in the comments I'd really appreciate it. (Because I'm probably going to be hung-over on Monday and won't want to think real hard. Thanks in advance.)


Good luck, and tune in for more Carnival Time fun until Mardi Gras day, March 8th! 

23 comments:

JEM said...

Not to sound like a nerd, but I've been looking forward to this since you teased it a few weeks ago. And not just because I'd push a baby carriage into traffic for a good cup of coffee. Please don't eliminate me from the contest for threatening baby lives.

Ooooold follower: +2
Commented: +1
Total: 3!

Yay!

Shannon O'Donnell said...

I have been waiting a WHOLE year for this. I'll be jumping through every hoop you throw at us, girl (except Twitter)! I wants me some Mardi Gras!! LOL. :-)

Caroline Starr Rose said...

Yay! Thanks for doing this! If I happen to win, though, please no throws. We've got a 50 lb. basket of beads and such from various Houma parades. No need for more. ;)

+2 old follower
+1 comment

XiXi said...

DANG, I only discovered now that I hadn't officially followed your blog. Well, I have rectified that issue.

Comment +1
New follower +1

Tere Kirkland said...

Wow, glad to see so many people excited about this giveaway! LOL, JEM, Shannon, love your enthusiasm. And honestly, you could probably tell me you tweeted and I wouldn't know better. Shhhh!

Caro, that stuff is just so precious, for about twenty minutes, right? Glad to hear from you.

Xixi, you probably could've gotten away with just saying you're an old follower, and I wouldn't have known, either! ;) Weird how things slip past you sometimes, I get it!

Good luck, everyone!

Lola Sharp said...

I WANT TO WIN THIS!!
Well, really I want to be down there with you, partying. I want to carry my own spermy-on-a-stick, like whoa! I want to make paper mache penises (peni), too. Color me GREEN with envy.

(maybe next year I'll come down for it.)

Oh please let me win so I can kinda pretend I'm there where I want to be for the best party of the year. *bats eyelashes* *blink* *blink* I'll jump through all the hoops for points. *jump* *jump*

All that said, I'd pimp your blog and support you reaching your next follower goal, anyway. You only have to ask.
(and hey, if there's ever anything you or anyone else wants from NJ, where I'm currently living, please let me know. As if there's anything worthy here. Okay, cheesesteaks are pretty tasty. But they don't send well.)

Old Follower- 2
Epic lengthy comment-1
Tweet-2 (@LolaSharp)
Sidebar-2
Blogpost-2 (tomorrow, the 4th, it'll go up)

=9

Hugs,
Lola

Lola Sharp said...

Tweet mission complete, but I don't have your 'handle'. Hopefully someone will follow my link here to visit you. :)

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Okay, Tere, here's where I'm at:

old follower +2
comment +1
FB post +2
sidebar +2

= +7

Dang! Lola's ahead of me. Curse you, Lolaaaaaaa!!! :-)

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

I won this last year so I'm not going to enter, but, let me say, you all really want to win this! Tere knows how to party.

Stephanie Thornton said...

Man, I've always wanted to be in New Orleans for Mardi Gras- you lucky duck! Very cool contest too!

Misha Gerrick said...

I've always wanted to experience Mardi Gras.

Sigh...

One day.

:-)

Shannon said...

Sounds like a great contest! =)

I am respectfully not entering (I've won my fair share), but still wanted to stop by and say hi.

Have a great weekend.

Susan R. Mills said...

Count me in! I'm an old follower and I commented.

Abby Annis said...

Pick me, pick me! :)

Old follower +2
Blogged +2
Tweeted +2
Commented +1

Total 7

Awesome contest!

Lola Sharp said...

FYI, I got the sidebar link up right after I left here yesterday,and I tweeted twice now for you (will try and remember to do it once a day for you) but I still haven't got the blog post up. I'll try to get it done over the weekend, Monday at the latest, K?

Huggles,
Lola

Shannon, I don't have FB...so since you do, if you do everything, you could beat me in points. (I want this bad bad BAD, so I hope you don't. ;) *hugs*

Plamena Schmidt said...

Ah! Can't believe I missed this.

How was the carnival?

Angie Ledbetter said...

Hope your season is going well!! Loved your post, and I know the lucky winner(s) will be thrilled with a taste of Louisiana. :)

I've been doing some background work on Treme's set, and have another shoot tomorrow. SO much fun.

Hugs and happy early Mardi Gras!

Lola Sharp said...

Got the blog post up (finally) tonight...

I want a paper mache sperm! ;)

Melissa Gill said...

Oh Lordy I'm glad I found this blog. (Thank you Lola Sharp)! I lived in New Orleans (Kenner, but ya know) for three years from '94-'97 and I still miss it EVERY DAY. Talk about your krewe brought back so many memories. I'd love to win prizes, but honestly I'm just glad to find a New Orleans blogger!

Laura Pauling said...

What a great idea! I'm a follower! I don't know if I could stand the heat down in the South! I suppose you get used to it, Just like I get used to the winter cold.

Angie Ledbetter said...

Linky love at my blog today. :)

Ellz said...

Wow, how exciting! some day I am going to go.

zenfoxflowerATyahooDOTcom

+1 comment
+1 new follower

Abby Annis said...

Added you to my sidebar, so that gives me 2 more entries for a total of 9! :)