Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy Valentine's/Villain-Loving Blog Chain Day!

Happy Overly Commercialized and Capitalized Upon Excuse to do things you should be doing anyway for the people you care about Day!

All right, I'll stop hating on Valentine's Day. It's just that my husband and I just don't celebrate it. The chocolate in those heart-shaped boxes never tastes good, and as cute as they are, conversation hearts might as well be made of chalk. (Not to mention that we're usually broke or busy due to Mardi Gras around this time of the year. Priorities, you know.) Our anniversary is in April, which is when we like to do something special, on OUR DAY, not one we're sharing with hundreds of other couples, sitting crammed elbow to elbow next to other mushy two-tops in restaurants with sickeningly romantic dessert specials for two written in pink on the specials board.

Which puts me right on track for Amparo's blog chain post:

Since Valentine's Day is around the corner, I think it's only appropriate to pay homage to those we love. But instead of our better halves, family members, and friends, this blog chain will be all about loving the haters: write a love letter to your favorite literary villain/villain-ish character. It can be short, long, serious, funny. You can use song lyrics or poems instead. Choice is totally yours :)

See what Michelle had to say on the subject here, and don't forget to check out Margie's post tomorrow!

If I were an arch villain, maybe I could figure out a way to destroy Valentine's Day. But I'll need help.

Dear Grand High Witch of England,



I know that if anyone can help me with my troubles, it's you. I mean, you single-handedly conceived of a plot to turn all the children of the world into mice, so I know you can help destroy Valentine's Day forever, too. I don't mean to gush, but you scared the ever loving daylights out of me when you were a kid, with those evil purple eyes and your magnificently bald scalp.

Together, I know we can sweep the shelves of those nasty Conversation hearts, wither the flowers in their bouquets, and erase all the dinner reservations in the world!! I mean, only a witch as delightfully devilish as yourself would be played by Angelica Huston in the film. ;)

Get back to me soon, I'm hatching a devious plan, but it will only be possible with your help.

Kisses,
Tere

PS, Don't forget to enter my Mardi Gras Giveaway!

6 comments:

Jonathon Arntson said...

ONE OF MY FAVORITE MOVIES AS A CHILD!

Thank you so much for this post! I love her and that whole story.

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

She sounds qualified for the job!

Krispy said...

Cute! I love your letter! <3s to you. :)

Voidwalker said...

Hey there! I know I've been gone for some time, but I'm back and blogging again. I'll be reading more from you here and posting my own stuff as well. Come say hi sometime. Nice to see you are still going strong on here!

Golden Eagle said...

That's an awesome letter.

Michelle H. said...

Wickedly awesome post!