Thursday, December 16, 2010

Welcome to My World

So I hate getting my picture taken, but today I'm taking one for the team. Ta da!


I know a few of y'all were interested in seeing my new hair. Well, my co-worker was testing out our new Canon Rebel the other morning, and got me in the shot. So here's my hair, my ginormous monitor with the world's largest desktop scanner beside it, and the rest of my corner of the world. It's dusty, but well lit, and, most importantly for my canvas-backed friends, temperature and humidity controlled. It was really cold that day, hence, the scarf and velvet jacket, but today it's supposed to hit the mid seventies, so that's awesome.

And I've got my Christmas shopping and decorating all done, and Saturday I'm going to make a huge lasagne (seriously huge, like in a turkey roaster. What? I freeze at least half of it, I swear.), and possibly some eggnog tiramisu, like I saw Morimoto make on Iron Chef,  Battle Eggnog, the other night. He topped it with powdered green tea, or macha, but I'm not sure if I get that without going to the Asian market on the West Bank. The man also had a smoker built for him out of ice. He's a genius.

I will not be making smokers out of ice, because lasagne is the only impressive-sounding dish I can actually make well. Even this tiramisu is going to be a stretch, but I'm excited about it because the one thing I've never really liked about classic tiramisu is the espresso. I'm not a fan of coffee, but I do love eggnog. And Creme de Cocoa. And especially eggnog.

If it works out well, I'm going to make another one to go with Christmas dinner. Maybe it'll be my new tradition, which I'm all about this year. 

Do you have any Christmas traditions you can't wait to do every year? Are they old, or new? Since I don't have a lot of family nearby, I love hearing what others are doing.

So Happy Holidays from my corner of the world!

16 comments:

Elena Solodow said...

I'm a virtuoso and cookie decorating.

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

I love your hair! Really. I think that cut and your outfit look fantastic.
As for traditions, I always make two family dishes from my New York years--Waldorf salad and icebox cake (very dark chocolate wafers smothered in whipped cream)

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Your hair is adorable! I need to do some fudge-making - I'm behind on my Christmas baking this year. I like to make several different flavors: amaretto, peanut butter, milk chocolate... :-)

Golden Eagle said...

I love the way your hair looks! :)

As for traditions, I love decorating the Christmas tree--my mom and I have a definite strategy when it comes to the glass balls and little wooden ornaments.

Susan R. Mills said...

Your hair looks great! I'm jealous that you have all your shopping done. I haven't even started.

Abby Annis said...

I don't know what you were complaining about because your hair is SO cute! Bangs look great on you. :)

We're all about new traditions this year. It's going to be fun to just lounge around the house and take it easy for once. :)

Jade said...

Love the hair!

Now that I'm a married grown-up, the husband and I alternate Christmas Day with our respective families. This year it's his, but every other year, my family has this massive Christmas lunch at my Nan's. My aunt makes the best cheese-cake EVER and my Nan makes this amazing trifle. My uncle makes an incredibly strong punch. We also have a BBQ breakfast. Such fun!

Krispy said...

Love your haircut! Cute! :D

Don't think I'm going to attempt any new cooking, but my friends and I always have a Christmas potluck and gift exchange gathering. We've been doing it since high school, and I look forward to it every year. My friend, unlike me, is an amazing cook. Yum!

Alexandra Shostak said...

Hey Tere,
you won the copy of ASH in my stress-free giveaway! e-mail me at alexandrashostak [at] gmail [dot] com with wherever you want it mailed to, and I'll get it in the mail soon :)

Tere Kirkland said...

Oh, man, now I'm getting really hungry! All the food you all make sounds so delicious. Is it obvious yet that my favorite traditions revolve around food? ;)

Can't wait to make my eggnog tiramisu! I'll tell you how it turns out.

Tere Kirkland said...

Alexandra, thanks so much! I really can't wait to read Ash!

Lola Sharp said...

Dude, that IS the biggest damn monitor.

70's, *sigh*, we haven't been out of the 20s up here in NJ for the last five days. Grrr. (we did get some snow yesterday, so it looks festive at least) I'm not from up here, and I hates the cold, so I'm contain grown the month until we move back down to our beach house in Charleston (SC). Snowpeople out of sand works well for me. Anyway, I am green with envy for your 70 degrees.

Mmmm, eggnog tiramisu sounds like perfection.

I'm kinda craving lasagna now.

Have a delightful weekend.
Love,
Lola

Plamena Schmidt said...

Hey, you look French! Especially with the scarf and all the paintings around you.

Anonymous said...

You look awesome! So glad you posted this. Good luck with the lasagna and the tiramisu! Sounds like a delicious holiday dinner!

Janet Johnson said...

I LOVE lasagne! Enjoy. :) We have a family talent night on Christmas eve before opening one present (after reading the Christmas story from the scriptures). Can't wait . . . and I still get giddy about Christmas, even though I'm the adult. (I am the adult, right?) ;)

Jennifer Shirk said...

Your hair looks cute! Love the bangs. :)

I'm half Polish so we do a meatless Christmas Eve dinner with pierogies and herring. I look forward to it every year.
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you!